What is Depression?
Depression is defined as a mental disorder, Which includes feelings such as anger, sadness, loss, etc that hinders day to day activities of a person. It is not rare according to a study 8.1% of Americans adults from age 18 to 20 and over has depression in any given two-week period from 2013 – 2016.
Depression affects everyone differently. It may hinder their daily work, it can influence relationships, lowers the productivity and worsen the condition of chronic diseases
Some of the diseases which get affected by Depression are :
- Cardiovascular Diseases
Depression is a normal part of a human’s life everybody experiences such issues in their life but when you feel sadness and miserable all the time, you could be dealing with depression.
Depression is considered a very serious medical condition and gets worse without therapy or treatment, you should seek help as soon as possible when you start noticing the Symptoms.
Symptoms of Depression
Effects of depression can vary from person to person it can cause various symptoms some affect your body, and others affect your mental state,
Symptoms can vary according to gender as well. Some noticed symptoms are :
- Mood (Such as anger issues, irritability, anxiousness, crying )
- Emotional (Such as feeling empty, sad)
- Behavioral (Such as Tiredness, more consumption of nicotine or alcohol, Social withdrawal and in children Avoiding friends and family, suicidal thoughts )
- Sexual (Such As reduced sexual desire and lack of sexual performance )
- Cognitive (Such as unable to concentrate, low performance in day to day activities)
- Sleep (Sleeping too much or too less)
- Physical (Headache, muscle cramps, low energy, weight loss or gain, digestive problems )
When you start noticing these kinds of symptoms it may be due to depression don’t ignore these seek medical help as soon as possible.
Causes of Depression
Depression can be caused by several factors Some of the common causes are :
- Family history: There are high chances of developing depression if someone from your family also experienced depression in the past.
- Early Childhood Trauma: Some incidents from childhood scars for whole life can also lead to depression eventually.
- Medical Condition: Medical Condition can cause depression which leads to chronic illness, insomnia.
- Drug consumption: Overuse of drugs or alcohol misuse can also lead to depression.
Some of the daily life events can also cause depression
- Loss of Loved ones
- Breakup or other relationship problems
- Personal history of mental illness
Many Factors can trigger depression according to a person’s mental stability.
Treatment For Depression
Living life with Depression can be so painful but depression can be cured by medical help and family support, treatment can help you improve the quality of your life. Talk to your friends and family.
Treatment for depression includes:
- Medication: It includes antidepressants, antianxiety medicines these medications treat depression and have their own benefits and potential risks.
- Psychotherapy: It includes talking to the therapist, friends, and family it helps you to find ways to deals with depression.
- Alternative Therapies: It includes Alternatives like Yoga, acupuncture, massages which help to relax muscle tension.
Some Changes in your daily life can also cure depression:
- Exercise daily
- Avoid the Consumption of drugs and alcohol
- Learn how to say no
- Take care of yourself
- Getting good sleep
Depression can be long-term but with treatments and depression therapies it can be managed. If one single treatment doesn’t work try a combination of treatments. It depends on person to person how their body responds to the treatment.