Survivors cannot live without the truth, Violators cannot live with the truth
Most survivors have had their experiences distorted, trivialised, or denied. Writing about the incident is an important avenue for healing, this is when you get the opportunity to know your reality.
At stresstherapistnj, we closely work with survivors of sexual violence. In most cases, survivors of sexual abuse avoid addressing the painful memories. Even though active participation can be challenging, it can be liberating as well. That's why it is essential to control your emotions and take a step toward raising your voice against abuse.
Being professionals in sexual abuse therapy, we can understand the feelings of a survivor who is struggling through the fear of intimacy, numbness, shame for “allowing the incident to happen”, and so on and so forth. While it could be challenging to face these emotions, you have to hold yourself up and build the emotion as your foundation for obtaining self-love and recovery.
- Those who have gone through sexual violence face difficulty identifying and validating their emotions, actions, and thought process. To help survivors value and express their thoughts, it is better to take the help of professional sexual abuse counselling. Painful emotions like shame, guilt, and anger can result from sexual abuse. Through counselling, you can gain a new perspective on life. After going through a lot of mental stress and pressure, survivors have the opportunity to challenge themselves and develop new hope for the future.
The RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network) has confirmed the numerous acts of violence that can cause sexual abuse trauma. However, you need to understand that a perpetrator doesn't necessarily need to touch an individual for committing the crime. A few of the examples of sexual abuse trauma include -
- Child sexual abuse
- Sexual harassment
- Military sexual trauma
- Intimate partner violence
- Drug-facilitated sexual assault
- Sexual abuse by a healthcare professional.
- Sexual exploitation by a helping professional or service provider.
- Non-consensual, unsolicited, or harassment through technology.
There are clear signs through which one can determine if the person has been sexually assaulted. The physical evidence is the full proof that someone is sexually abusing them. In case you notice such warning signs in your neighbourhood, it may be time to reach out for professional help.
A few of the examples of sexual abuse trauma symptoms include -
- requent nightmares
- Feels misplaced guilt or shame
- A growing sense of low self-esteem
- Seems on edge and easily startled
- Develops a negative outlook on life
- Struggles to get a good night’s sleep
- Easily irritated and has angry outbursts
- Suddenly avoids certain people or places
- Frightened or upset by thoughts and memories
The fear of flying could be a common At stresstherapistnj, we will be by your side and together we will create a safe space for you so that you can express your experience. Speaking the truth will bring clarity and help you gain insight into your past experiences and how they impacted your life. When it comes to sexuality and relationships, developing a sense of awareness about your behaviour and thoughts is a powerful experience. Once you bring compassion and gain insight into the jargon of criminals and their origins, your ability to make productive choices becomes possible.
Our counselling sessions focus on -
- Your experience/story
- Believing it had happened
- Believing that the abuse was "NOT YOUR FAULT" .
- Dealing with and processing anger
- Understanding how the abuse affected your life
- Correcting dysfunctional behaviours developing from the abuse.
- Your future is not defined by your past. It's the present that matters.
In case you are seeking help to come over your situation of sexual violence or sexual abuse, professional sexual trauma therapy is crucial. It is better if you contact our stress reduction clinic for emotional support. We will help you come over your feelings so that you can proceed in your career. The earlier you get therapy for sexual assault, the fastest will be the healing process.
No matter how you feel, we are not leaving you behind. That's it.